Kudos to Canada’s staunchly pro-Israel PM Stephen Harper.
Via Sun News:
Canada has placed Iran on its list of state sponsors of terrorism and will shut down its embassy in Tehran, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said.
Baird, speaking to reporters ahead of the opening of the annual summit of Pacific nation leaders here, said the skeleton Canadian embassy staff in Tehran would be withdrawn immediately for their own safety.
Canada is also expelling all Iranian diplomats in Canada.
“Canada views the government of Iran as the most significant threat to global peace and security in the world today,” Baird said. “The government of Canada is formally listing Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism.” [...]
Baird cited a list of grievances including:
- Iran refuses to comply with the United Nations resolutions pertaining to its nuclear program
- Increasing military assistance to the regime of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad
- Iran shelters and “materially supports” terrorist groups
- Routine threats to the existence of the state of Israel
- Repeated violations of the Vienna Convention which governs diplomatic relations between most countries of the world
- “Racist anti-semitic rhetoric and incitement to genocide,” Baird said.
- Worst violators of human rights.