Early reports say 14 killed so far, no word if any were westerners (who frequent the hotel).
(NDTV) — The Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul has come under a commando style attack, with explosions and gunfire being heard from the building, according to police sources.
Initial reports suggest as many as 14 people could have been killed.
Sources have told NDTV that a group of 5 attackers breached the secured first picket at the hotel. Three were killed by the time they were able to breach a second picket. Two of the attackers then entered the hotel lobby firing indiscriminately.
The hotel is said to be popular with foreigners.
More from Fox News:
At least six suicide bombers attacked the Intercontinental hotel in Kabul Tuesday, a U.S. official told Fox News. The attack is still ongoing.
Afghanistan news agency TOLOnews is reporting at least 10 people have been killed. That number has yet to be independently confirmed.
Streets leading to the Intercontinental hotel are blocked.
“It’s an attack on the Intercontinental Hotel. There are several gunmen shooting,” Kabul criminal investigations chief Mohammad Zahir told AFP.
He said “a number” of police had been wounded.
Azizullah, an Afghan police officer who uses only one name, told The Associated Press at the scene that at least one bomber entered the hotel Tuesday night and detonated a vest of explosives.
Jawid, a guest at the hotel, says the attack occurred as many people were having dinner in the hotel restaurant. He says he heard gunfire throughout the several story building.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in telephone call to the AP.
The WSJ’s reporter in Kabul is being told the attack is “huge.”